Friday, September 14, 2012

Friday Five -- Laurisa White Reyes

Today's Friday Five is a homeschooling mom with five kids and a full house, who says, "If I don't write, I'll go insane."  Laurisa White Reyes, author of  THE ROCK OF IVANORE (Tanglewood Press) is a fellow fan of musical theater and chocolate, too - and I hope one day to get a chance to meet her in person.


THE FIVE:


1.  What is your guiltiest pleasure?  

Chocolate. Well, specifically Godiva Mint Chocolate Truffle Bars, See’s Blueberry Truffles and Pepperidge Farm Milano Sweet Toffee Slices. I don’t have them often, but when I do, I don’t share.

2.  What keeps you awake at night?

I’m a pretty deep sleeper, but if my kids make even the slightest sound, I’m instantly awake. I have five kids, which means that for many years I never got a complete night’s rest. Only since my youngest child started sleeping through the night about two years ago have I been able to get enough sleep. Sometimes, when I’m really tired, I sleep with earplugs.

3. What living person do you most admire and why?

My mother. She is a survivor and a very strong individual. She also has a very positive attitude about life. She taught me that if someone else has done it, I could learn to do it, too. I’ve tried to teach that to my own kids, as well. Because of my mom, I’ve set some pretty high expectations for myself and I don’t quit. Getting my first book published was one of them.

4. What annoys you?

Lots of things. When my kids drop their dirty clothes on the floor right next to the hamper. Movies and books where the hero dies at the end for no good reason whatsoever. Finding an empty cereal box in the cupboard or empty ice cream carton in the freezer. And people who drive under the speed limit. That drives me crazy.

5.  What is your favorite writing motto/mantra?

Find Your Magic. In my book, Marcus is an enchanter’s apprentice but he’s not very good at it. In order to succeed in his quest, he must develop the courage and the skills he needs – he must find his magic. For a long time I didn’t think I could write novels. But over time and with experience, I eventually did it. I found my magic. I think everyone has something that they’d like to achieve or improve in their lives. When things get difficult they may want to give up. But those who are truly successful are those who keep going. They find that special something, that magic, that enables them to reach their goals and live their dreams.

ABOUT THE ROCK OF IVANORE:

The annual Great Quest is about to be announced in Quendel, a task that will determine the future of Marcus and the other boys from the village who are coming of age. The wizard Zyll commands them to find the Rock of Ivanore, but he doesn't tell them what the Rock is exactly or where it can be found. Marcus must reach deep within himself to develop new powers of magic and find the strength to survive the wild lands and fierce enemies he encounters as he searches for the illusive Rock. If he succeeds, he will live a life of honor; if he fails, he will live a life of menial labor in shame. With more twists and turns than a labyrinth, and a story in which nothing is as it seems, this tale of deception and discovery keeps readers in suspense until the end.

Order THE ROCK OF IVANORE here!

ABOUT LAURISA:

You can find Laurisa on her website.
On her blog.
On Goodreads.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katherine! Sorry it took me so long to find your post. Thanks so much for having me here as your guest. :)

    ReplyDelete