Five facts about me:
1. My parents are both geologists. I spent a considerable amount of time as a child looking at road cuts. And I still, on car trips, can look up and exclaim, “Look at the stratification in that.”
2. When I was ten, I wanted to go to law school and then become President. My fifth grade teacher set up a “learn about the law” program in which kids could take “the bar”, become lawyers, and then hold mock trials. We had one. I was prosecuting attorney. But during recess, when the trial was over, I saw the accused (who had been found guilty) crying in the classroom. And my dream of being a lawyer died right there.
3. My sister and I shared a room for years. At night, when we were supposed to be asleep, she read aloud THE HOBBIT and the entire LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy. I still can’t disassociate the stories from the sound of her voice.
4. I studied ballet for two weeks when I was eight.
5. The thing that frightened me most as a child was a nightmare I had in which a pretty little yellow bird turned into a monster. The thing that frightens me most now? Well, I’m not saying…