Monday, March 19, 2012

RETREAT!

Writers spend a lot of time alone.  Even those who write in a coffee shop or on a crowded airplane.  We live inside our heads when we write and sometimes coming out of that space discombobulates us as we try to remember where we are and what we're supposed to be doing.

That's why it's so much fun for us to get together and practice our solitary craft all in the same room.

I spent this weekend on a little mini-retreat with some amazing writers.  Beth Hull hosted at her lovely little home, having kicked out her family (but not her cat) and worked on the first revision of a delightfully quirky novel.  Talia Vance brought sandwich supplies and worked on the sequel to her upcoming SILVER (Flux, September 8, 2012).  Pat Kahn kept us supplied with chocolate and guacamole and read from a beautifully descriptive middle grade novel.  And Kristen Held brought pizza fixings and started something completely new that held us all enthralled from the first page.

I made regular coffee runs and had a major breakthrough on Book 3 of The Royal Circle series.

But more than that, we shared that writing space.  The one in which it's OK to hate the words you just set down on the page.  Or to love the fact that your characters just started kissing again.  Or to write something new -- five pages that took six hours to wrench from the recesses of your creative mind -- and read it aloud, knowing that you won't be laughed at.  In fact, someone might just say, "I think you have your first chapter right there."

12 comments:

  1. A writer's retreat? That sounds amazing! An idea recently popped into my head and after the encouragement from a certain author who is just lovely, I sat down and put pen to paper. Haven't written in two week though, I'm making it that I'm starting back tomorrow! I can do it! Go me! And go you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! Sometimes I think getting that first page written is the hardest part of a novel or story. You've got a head start, now, so go you!

      Delete
    2. Definitely, now I just need to read over what I've got and make my next move. The only thing is making time!

      Delete
  2. A retreat is exactly what you need from time to time. It helps you recoup and get your thoughts together. Even if you're not a writer, it's always good to get away. Just have plenty of coffee :D

    Vivien
    deadtossedwaves at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Vivien! Just a change of scenery recharges the batteries.

      Delete
  3. God how I wish I lived closer :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a lovely weekend! I wish we could do it all the time...but I think my family might want to see me occasionally. Then again, perhaps I'm flattering myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had such a great time. There is nothing like convening with other writers. Thanks for helping me work through quantum theory. And I HOPE that you keep that first chapter, because it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goosebumps, giggles, and quantum theory. It doesn't get much better than that! This retreat was exactly what I needed.
    And, Jackie, me three!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A retreat is exactly what we all need sometimes! It was a pleasure and an honor to spend the weekend with you ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a great retreat – much needed and greatly appreciated. And I agree with Talia. That first chapter blew me away.

    ReplyDelete